


There are endless opportunities to take photographs and infinite ways of seeing. Photography lets me be free to create and I can photograph when and whatever I like. There are no restrictions placed on me or the images I choose to make. The images I create are part of me and who I am as a person.
I am interested in how shape, form and the repetition of images interrelate and work together to define an image. I wanted to explore and experiment with forms naturally created around us, I am attracted to clouds because of their continuously changing shapes and patterns.
Recently I have begun experimenting with the repetition and duplication of images, I find that repeating form brings attention to detail and shape. Looking through a kaleidoscope is much like looking through a camera, you can shut the world out and focus on what is right in front of you. My work explores shapes and movement captured in a moment of time. I want people to look at my work and see something different each time they view it.
I have been inspired by the works of artists Kazuhiko Kawahara and Brian Kuhlmann. Kawahara uses urban landscapes and infrastructure to create blended images, while Kuhlmann uses human form to create kaleidoscopes out of body parts. Both artists find strength through the use of repetition and creating organized chaos that engages and interact with the viewers.
I chose to present two images side by side so that the viewer can see the shape and structure of the original image alongside an example of the possibilities that can be viewed through the kaleidoscope.
My process of working starts with the deconstruction of an image into small pieces so that I can re arrange them in a new way with new meaning. I wanted my work to be continually changing just like the sky. By viewing my images through the real life kaleidoscope the images continue to change and evolve. The viewer will have a unique experience each and every time they view my work. They are free to see whatever they make of it and in doing so become a vital part of the work.
No comments:
Post a Comment